Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Public officials have an obligation to do more for people with vision loss

October is National Disability Employment Awareness Month - celebrate by supporting the purchase of SKILCRAF products and services. Every purchase creates jobs for people who are blind or visually impaired.

Sheila Solomon Klass wites about her life with Macular Degeneration in a Special to The Washington Post Monday, October 4, 2010. A portion of the story is excerpted here. Read the entire story and view a video on what macular degeneration looks like from the perspective of someone who lives with it.

Video Link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/video/2010/10/04/VI2010100404256.html?sid=ST2010100405965

Story Link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/04/AR2010100405310.html?sub=AR



Each day on waking, as I pad barefoot to the door to get the morning newspaper, I wonder: Will I be able to read the headlines when I pick it up? Yes, the headlines.
Headlines, after all, are large and set in bold type. That's what it has come down to. Oh, sure, with my magnifier I can do it. But I never carry my magnifier to the door; that would be cheating on the daily test I set for myself.

I'm legally blind because of macular degeneration, and I have glaucoma.
What the normal eye can see from 200 feet, I can see from only 20 feet or less. I can read normal-size print in a good strong light, if I hold the book close to my face. One and a half million Americans share the disability of legal blindness with me. Additionally, I'm an 82-year-old widow in lace-up orthopedic shoes who spends a lot of time on the subway happily going about her business.

Until five years ago, I had no very serious laments about my body, which has served me well and serves me still.

But now . . . my eyes are going. Macular degeneration is the leading cause of vision loss in my age group, and my vision is practically gone. What worse punishment is there for an English teacher, for a writer of fiction whose major sport is reading, for a person who worships the printed word?

Story Link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/04/AR2010100405310.html?sub=AR

About the National Industries for the Blind
NIB’s (www.NIB.org), mission is to enhance the opportunities for economic and personal independence of persons who are blind, primarily through creating, sustaining and improving employment. NIB and 89 associated agencies serve as the largest employer for people who are blind by the sale of SKILCRAFT® products and services through the AbilityOne Program. (Pictured left: SKILCRAFT logo and AbilityOne Program logo. SKILCRAFT slogan: Every Purchase Creates Jobs)

1 comment:

  1. In honor of National Disability Employment Awareness Month, there's a podcast round-table discussion taking place this Friday, 10/8 entitled "New Perspectives on Disability Employment".

    Round table guests include Cari Dominguez, Former Chair of EEOC, Sheridan Walker, president of HirePotential, Jon Hyman, Partner at Kohrman Jackson & Krantz, James Rodriguez, Strategic Military Talent Manager at BAE Systems, and Kevin Bradley, Director of Diversity at McDonand's.

    For more information, please visit http://www.eventspan.com/event/2010-10-08-a-new-perspective-on-disability-employment

    ReplyDelete